Until the year 1930, there was nothing significant as far as traffic matters were concerned. This was because only a very small number of vehicles operated in the country at the time. Around 1940, there was an influx of vehicles into the country, which resulted in a heavy flow of traffic. It therefore became necessary to take steps to contain the situation. Up to this period, traffic patrols were limited to various stations under the command of various station officers.
The personnel involved were drafted to form one group at the Central Police Station in Accra under the command of Mr. Blay, an Assistant Superintendent of Police. With the passage of the Road Traffic Ordinance No. 55/52 in 1952, the Unit was formally established with Accra Central MTTU becoming its Headquarters under the command of ASP/MR. T.W. Sackey. At the moment, ACP/Mr. Angwubutoge Awuni is the Commanding Officer of the Unit.