ROLE OF DOVVSU IN THE GHANA POLICE SERVICE
- Seeks to protect the rights of the vulnerable against all forms of abuse;
- Provides advice on crime prevention to members of the public;
- Arrest and prosecute where necessary;
- Handles offences involving juveniles;
- Establish an effective database for crime detection, prevention and prosecution;
- Collaborate with NGOs and Civil Society;
- Share information with all stakeholders
- Collaborate with organizations that may be able to offer assistance to victims in need of assistance (shelter, medical, legal etc.);
- Collaborate with other organizations that may be able to offer specialized help i.e. referrals (medical, clinical psychologist, DSW, FIDA, Legal Aid, Counselors WISE etc).
- Investigate all cases of Domestic Violence and Child Abuse.
FORMS OF DOMESTICE VIOLENCE REPORTED AT THE UNIT
- PHYSICAL ABUSE (assault)
- SEXUAL ABUSE (rape, defilement, incest)
- EMOTIONAL/PSYCHOLGICAL ABUSE (treats to kill, verbal insults, humiliation)
- SOCIO-ECONOMIC abuse (denial of work, refusal to take care of wards)
- HARMFUL TRADITIONAL PRACTICES (widowhood practices, female genital cutting etc.)
TYPES OF CASES HANDLED BY THE UNIT
• INDECENT ASSAULT
• UNNATURAL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE
• CRIMINAL ABORTION
CHILD RELATED OFFENCES
• CHILD TRAFFICKING
• EXPOSING CHILD TO HARM
• NON-MAINTENANCE/FAILING TO PROVIDE THE NECCESSITIES OF LIFE
• COMPULSION/FORCED MARRIAGE
• UNLAWFUL CHILD REMOVAL
• CHILD ABANDONMENT
• CHILD STEALING
• CHILD ABUSE (ASSAULT)
OTHER SERVICES PROVIDED BY DOVVSU
- DOVVSU has clinical psychologists and counselors in most of our regional offices /units who provide counseling services free of charge
- DOVVSU also has Social Workers attached to the unit who deal with matters concerning non-maintenance, custody and marital issues.
- DOVVSU in addition, do referrals of victims for the necessary support services.
NEEDS OF VICTIMS OF ABUSE
Often victims report to the unit as the last resort and present with a lot of needs. Such as;
PSYCHOLOGICALLY DEMORALIZED AND TRAUMATIZED
HOW CASES ARE HANDLED
- STEP ONE; COMPLAINTS ARE RECEIVED AT A SECURE AND PRIVATE CHARGE OFFICE
- STEP TWO: STATION OFFICER SUPERVISED BY AN SPO
-ASSIGNS CASES TO INVESTIGATORS
-A POLICE MEDICAL FORM IS ISSUED
- REFERS CASES FOR
- LEGAL AID/FIDA
- DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL WELFARE ON NON-MAINTENANCE CASES
- NGO’S FOR SKILLS TRAINING, MICRO FINANCE, ETC.
- EDUCATIONAL SERVICE
- STEP THREE: AFTER CASE IS INVESTIGATED;
- CASE IS SENT TO COURT BASED ON COMPLAINANT’S WILLINGNESS TO HAVE CASE PROSECUTED, EXCEPT IN CASE OF SEXUAL OFFENCES, CHILD RELATED CASES, AND SERIOUS ASSAULT CASES WHERE CASES ARE PROSECUTED STRAIGHT AWAY AS THERE IS NO OPTION FOR BAIL.
- CASES NOT SENT TO COURT ARE ALSO REFERRED FOR COUNSELING, OR LEGAL AID DEPENDING ON NEEDS OF COMPLAINANT.