• WHAT IS DOVVSU?
The acronym DOVVSU stands for DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND VICTIM SUPPORT UNIT. It was established in October 1998 as WAJU which stands for WOMEN AND JUVENILE UNIT.
• BRIEF FACTS:
Click here to find out more about the Profile Of Regional Unit Commanders
• SEXUAL ABUSE AGAINST CHILDREN Child abuse could be describe as the excessive use of power and authority by someone over a child who is likely to deny the child of the right to life, liberty, health, education and shelter in order to take advantage of the childâ€™s vulnerability.Â Child abuse could also be in the form of sexual, physical emotion or psychological.
• LODGING A COMPLAINT AT THE POLICE STATION The police station is a public place and it is open to everyone who has problem or needs advice on an issue.Â The police are to provide security to citizens and investigate cases. The service detects and prevents crimes.
• CHILD UP BRINGING-WHOSE DUTY? The Childrenâ€™s Act, 1998 (Act 560) is to reform and consolidate the law relating to children to provide for the rights of the child, maintenance and adoption, regulation of child labour and apprenticeship, ancillary matters concerning children generally and to provide for related matters.
• CHILD PROSTITUTION Yaa Agyeiwaa was 12 years when she was given to a lady in the city to stay with. She was to be a domestic help to the lady. When they got to the city, she was sent to go and wash dishes at a local chop bar.
•THE JUVENILE JUSTICE ACT AND THE ROLE OF DOVVSU Already there are three laws that have been enacted in regard to childrenâ€™s rights issues in Ghana.Â These have really helped for the voice of children to be heard on issues that concern them since they are the most vulnerable in society.
• CHILDREN ADVISED TO REPORT SEXUAL ABUSES Assistant Superintendent of Police, Mrs. Agnes Barimah said, sexually abused children must be encouraged to report their abuses to their parents, teachers or the Domestic Violence and Victims Support Unit (DOVVSU) of the Ghana Police Service.
• CHILDREN'S ROOM PROJECT
• OTHER AGENCIES/ORGANISATIONS