The unit formerly called the Women and Juvenile Unit ( WAJU ) of the Ghana Police Service was established in October 1998.
To create an environment that provides timely and equitable response to victims of abuse.
To prevent, protect, apprehend and prosecute perpetrators of domestic violence and child abuse.
WHAT IS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
- It is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (physical, sexual, financial, psychological or emotional)
- Between adults who are or have been intimate partners regardless of gender.
- It will also include family members (mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, grandparents, in-laws) and step family.
WHAT SUPPORT DOES DOVVSU PROVIDE TO VICTIMS?
- DOVVSU provides free service to members of the public
- We treat victims/complainants and their families with respect and courtesy
- Take statements in a professional manner
- Victims are provided with information on their cases as well as details of the investigations
- We provide advice on crime prevention in schools, churches and markets etc
- Refer victims for medical services and or counseling and support services in the community.
OTHER SERVICES PROVIDED BY DOVVSU
- DOVVSU has clinical psychologists and counselors in most of our regional offices /units who provide counseling services free of charge
- DOVVSU also has Social Workers attached to the unit who deal with matters concerning non-maintenance, custody and marital issues.
- DOVVSU in addition, do referrals of victims for the necessary support services.