The Estate Unit aspires to provide a congenial, comfortable and conducive working environment for the Police Officer through the provision, maintenance and the allocation of residential and office accommodation units for the attainment of effective policing.
LOCATIONFUNCTIONS OF THE ESTATE UNIT
The Ghana Police Service Estate Department has an office at the National Headquarters which acts as the nerve centre of the Unit and coordinates the activities of the Unit country wide. There is another office in Kumasi which was recently created to take care of Ashanti, Brong-Ahafo and the three (3) Northern Regions.
The Unit intends to set up regional offices at the various regional capitals to cater for the regional estate needs.
The Estate Unit is of paramount importance to the Police Service by virtue of the fact that it provides the requisite comfort and sound environment for the Police Officer to live in and to execute its duties. The Estate Unit therefore performs several functions in line with the purpose for which it was established. The functions of the unit are as follows:
- Acquisition of land and its documentation for the Police Service
- Handling all related land issues.
ACQUISITION AND MANAGEMENT OF LANDED PROPERTY
- Rental of landed property
- Assessment and review of the rental value of the landed properties acquired
- Ensuring regular payment of rent to landlord.
ADMINISTRATION OF CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES
The Estate Unit has also been empowered to employ and administer civilian employees. Their main work is to keep police surrounding and sanitary areas clean at all times.
SANITIZING THE POLICE ENVIRONMENT
This entails the following;
- General cleaning
- Fumigation of infested offices, residences, police cells etc.
- Dislodgement of septic tanks
- Collection and disposal of refuse
- ALLOCATION OF OFFICE, RESIDENTIAL AND HOTEL/ACCOMMODATION
- MAINTENANCE OF POLICE-OWNED & RENTED LANDED PROPERTIES
This entails the;
- Inspection of police owned and rented landed properties
- Preparing and executing routine maintenance schedules
- Assessment of maintenance needs of landed properties
- Repair of defects arising from normal use of Police owned and rented premises
- FURNISHING OF OFFICE AND RESIDENTIAL ACCOMMODATION
- Provision of furniture and curtains for offices and residences
- Provision and repair of equipment such as computers, typewriters, photocopiers, air conditioners, steel cabinets etc for office and bungalows.
- Taking inventory of all chattels in offices and residential accommodation
- Labeling all police properties
- Keeping an updated inventory/records of all police property
- VALUATION OF LANDED PROPERTY
- Carrying our rental and capital valuations
- Advising the Police administration on rental and capital values of properties